Thursday, June 21, 2012

Mixed Emotions about Shangri-la Mactan, Cebu

I purchased a voucher last October 2011 for a 50% discount at an overnight stay at Shangri-la Mactan, Cebu.  I called their reservations last week to book a room over the weekend.

Spoke to a lady who said there was no available room for the price I paid for, if I wanted the give me an Executive room where I need to add 2,500 pesos.  Tempting, but I said I will have to think about it.  I did not want to pay extra because I felt it would defeat the purpose of the discounted voucher.

Not an hour after, I called reservations again.  Lo and behold, they now have available rooms.  According to the new lady I am talking to, there are several available rooms.  I made sure I booked a room first (Father's Day so could be hectic), then lodged my complaint.  Left my mobile number with them and said I will wait for an explanation.  I have not received a call from Shangri-la.  Maybe, miraculously rooms suddenly became available within 40 minutes.

But will be objective in reviewing the overnight experience.


Cleanliness and attention to detail, Shangri-la has consistently mastered.  Even their ash trays are classy.

Their lobby decor for June is elegantly simple.


The Seaview rooms are very simple.  And remember to close the veranda door, I mean really really close it.  Otherwise, the aircon will not work.  Part of their sustainability program.


The simplicity of the rooms are contrasted by the majesty of the CHI spa.  Simply, one of the most luxurious spas in the Philippines.  Balinese-inspired, there is certain feeling of serenity and of course   class.



Main entrance of CHI spa.  Really luxurious.


I learned that Shang-Mactan has a promo for BPO companies for the month of June.  Garden view rooms are available at 6,000 a night, compared to the usual 9,000.  Probably explains why there is unusually many Pinoys at the place.  Hey, Pinoys are practical.  

Surprised to see more than 30% of breakfast goers at Tides are Pinoys.  Usually it is just us, or maybe just ourselves and another table.


The verdict?

RESERVATIONS:  Very bad.  See post above.  If you pay around 15,000pesos for a room, you also expect that pre-arrival services are at least consistent.  I hate the feeling that I am being cheated because I am using a voucher

HOTEL SERVICE:  On the contrary, once you get to the hotel, the service is exceptional.  Hotel staff are polite but friendly.  The complimentary mango juice is a quite tasty for a welcome drink.

Unlike in Imperial Hotel, where I feel everyone is suspecting whether I am a checked-in guest or not, Shangri-la manages to implement this with respect to the guest.  And we appreciated this.

ROOM:  Just OK.  I was really expecting to see something more fancy especially with the price.  But it is OK.  Room is clean, albeit small.  Bathroom amenities are also OK.  Nothing spectacular and nothing stands out.

SPA:  The best!  Definitely one of, if not the best spas in the Philippines.  

BEACH:  Just OK.  A lot of area for improvement but I cannot fully attribute this to Shangri-la.  A beach is a beach.  Maybe their location is bad, or maybe the beach situation has deteriorated over the years beyond their control.  Don't get me wrong, the beach sand area is really good.  But the ocean floor near the beach front leaves too much to be desired.  Too much little corals, and too much stones.  Again, I can't blame the resort for this.  It is what it is.  In the grand raffle of beaches , maybe Shang just got the last pick.  Maybe karma from bad reservation service =).

FOOD:  Tides has to be the worst Shangri-la buffet place in the Philippines.  Breakfast food is too greasy and selection is very limited.  My first breakfast at Tides was in May 2009, and was really surprised to see a lot of people getting apples or mangoes  I thought maybe they just eat healthy.  Until I tasted their sausages, bacon and tocino.  I did not manage to finish the food and starting getting apples and mangoes for myself.  

If breakfast at Circles is a perfect 10.  And at Heat maybe a 6 or a 7.  At Tides, I would score it a 3.  You pay 1,000pesos ++ for that food, come on.  As I was looking at my food I got reminded of our breakfast food at Holiday Inn.  But hey, Holiday Inn charges 250 pesos, so in the end (I could not believe I am saying this)...Holiday Inn is better than Tides at Shangri-la Mactan.  

I often complain about the exorbitant price of breakfast at Marriott Hotel Manila which is closer to 2,000 than 1,000.  But at least, food there is good.  

In summary, Reservations and food at Tides are really really bad at Shangri-la Mactan.  Beach is forgettable, again not totally blaming the resort for it.  Rooms are OK, could be better.  Everything else though is exceptionally well.  That includes the cafe at the lobby, where the show band is also good.

Will I come back there again?  Probably not very soon.  Especially now that I heard Crimson Hotel in Mactan is having a sale - 5,000 a night.  That I will have to try. 





1 comment:

Evot said...

maganda nga daw sa crimson hotel in mactan...i wanna go there. sana sa dec paguwi namin sa pinas eh makapunta kami sa cebu and stay there...