Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pink Treasure of Cebu - La Maison Rose

Along Gorordo Avenue is a pink gem.  Right beside the enormous Mormon Temple is an authentic French Restaurant called La Maison Rose, with the subtitle The Pinkhouse Restaurant.  It was our first time to be in a restaurant where the primary theme is a color.  So we were very excited.

The menu is in an iPad.   So really impressive, until we realized there were only 3 iPads available.  So ordering can mean waiting for the "menu" to be available.

Nevertheless, the menu is quite impressive.  I had to try a lot.  Knowing the chef is French, and the restaurant is beside Alliance Francaise I felt comforted that we will be savoring real French dishes (not just the names)

For starters, I was intrigued and ordered the Soup Trio.  And then the Foie Gras was beckoning so I ordered one as well.


This is the waiting area.  Obviously very pink.


Apart from Pink, the La Maison Rose also is Indochine inspired.  So the decors were Western European and Asian inspired.  Worked for me.


I was looking for the men's restroom and told it was outside the main hall of the restaurant.  I was uncomfortable to enter first, because well it was too daintily pink.  I had to ask again, if this was really the men's room.  Upon receiving confirmation went in and took pictures.


The door is very French and very pink =)


We were talking and talking about work, about the decors, and about recent comic events at the office for a good 10 minutes....then our orders arrived.

This is the soup trio.  The leftmost is a Spinach & Ham Soup.  I used the spoon at first, but decided to try sipping from the glass itself.  The yellow middle is a Scallop Bacon Soup, one of my favorite dishes of the night.  The Red soup at the right most is Gazpacho.  My least favorite, but the heck I finished them all.


The pictures of the Foie Gras were not visually delightful.  The taste was OK.  Not bad, but not very good either - would not rave over it.

Main dish is the Truffle Pasta.  First bite was overwhelming.  The earthly flavor explodes right away.  I didn't think I could eat half the serving but ended up finishing the whole plate.


A friend order the French Lechon.  It was served with Mashed Potatoes and Carrots on the side.  Very interesting dish.



After the main course, I had to order the cheese platter.  The cheeses were fantastic, but the grapes were overriped.  And I didn't mind the salad that went with the platter. 


For dessert, I ordered their special espresso.  Which later I found out to be quite expensive at 125 pesos.  Taste was just OK.

But the biggest delight of the night was the very rich Chocolat Coulant.  It was everything you wanted in a cake - very moist, chocolatey but not sweet.  


For 1Soup, 1 Starter, 1 Pasta Entree, 1 Cheese Platter, and 1 Dessert I paid 1,500.  A little pricey for Cebu but just about right for the quality of food (not to mention ambience).

La Maison Rose at Gorordo St. Lahug, Cebu CIty is highly-recommended.   Just a tip - reserve ahead.  Friday is packed so we had to simmer at the table outside for 15 minutes, before we were transferred inside.



No comments: