Thursday, February 9, 2012

Commentary on Pedophilia

I heard about several cases of pedophilia in Cebu.  Of course, this is a taboo topic, something you don't discuss freely.  And I actually did not understand its magnitude.  Or how widely widespread it was...  until I saw it.

One time, my friend and I were swimming at one of the nicer resorts in Mactan.  We were in the secured beach area (that space in front of the resort that is cordoned off screaming exclusivity?).  Then from nowhere (maybe from a boat in the middle of the sea, or maybe a neighboring village) a young girl (maybe 13 or 14) approached a sunbathing male foreigner (maybe 50 or 55 years old).  From afar, I do not understand what they were talking about.  And it did not register what might be happening.

After a few minutes, I realized what might be happening.  So, I discreetly swam towards them.  I wanted to listen to what they were talking about. By this time, I was already very bothered.  I still cannot get a good understanding of what they are talking about, but I did hear the male foreigner said "my wife would not like that", and he was really making sure the girl knows that he is not interested.  So I swam away.

A few minutes later, the girl was still there and was continuing her one-sided conversation with the foreigner.  At this point I was terribly bothered.  So I called my friend and told her together we swim towards the foreigner with the intent of shooing the girl away.  And we did.  Not even 5 meters from her, she swam away.

By this time, I never really had a full understanding of the scene.  And I did not ask the foreigner if she knew who the girl was and what they were talking about.  But up to now I am still bothered.

A day after, we were having coffee at a popular coffee chain in Mandaue.  A male foreigner, probably 60 or 65 was alone having his coffee.  From nowhere, 2 teenage boys sneakly joined his table.  They were not doing anything, but it seems they were really trying to get the attention of the foreigner.  They stayed there for a good 5 minutes, attempting to get the man to notice them.  A few minutes later, they left leaving a piece of paper with what seems to be phone numbers on them.

Again, I could not verify for sure.  I did not know if these were really phone numbers, or addresses, or contact information. 

But I sure was severely bothered.  Could it be that children are offering themselves to foreigners?  I hope pedophilia stops in the Philippines especially in Cebu.  What can we do collectively to put a stop to this?

No comments: